2010 – Current
- Coutts J. Botha N and Turner J A (2014) Evaluating a Co-innovation Policy Initiative in New Zealand in Proceedings of Farming Systems Facing Global Challenges, 11th European International Farming Systems Symposium, Berlin April 2014 [PDF available]
- Warren Hunt, Colin Birch, Jeff Coutts & Frank Vanclay (2012): The Many Turnings of Agricultural Extension in Australia, The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension,18:1, 9-26
- Hunt, W.D., and Coutts, J. (2009). Extension in tough times – addressing failures in public and private extension, lessons from the Tasmanian wool industry Australia. Journal of Agricultural Education & Extension, 15 (1), 39-55
- Hunt ,W,, Vanclay, .F, Birch, C., Coutts, J., Flittner, N. and Williams, B. (2011). Agricultural extension: Building capacity and resilience in rural industries and communities. Rural Society, 20:2, 112 – 127
- Coutts J & Roberts K (2011) Theories and approaches of Extension: Review of Extension in Capacity Building, in Jennings, J; Packham, R and Woodside D Eds (2011) Shaping Change: Natural Resource Management, Agriculture and the Role of Extension. Australia: Australasia Pacific Extension Network (APEN)
- Roberts K & Coutts J (2011) Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting of Extension, in Jennings, J; Packham, R and Woodside D Eds (2011) Shaping Change: Natural Resource Management, Agriculture and the Role of Extension. Australia: Australasia Pacific Extension Network (APEN)
- Botha C A J & Coutts J (2011) Moving Change to the Top of the Agenda – learning from the on-ground decision makers, accepted for publication in South African Journal of Agricultural Extension (SAJAE) Volume 39, 2011
- Hossain D, Gorman D, Eley R, Coutts J: Value of mental health first aid training of advisory and extension agents in supporting farmers in rural Queensland. Rural Remote Health; 2010 Oct-Dec;10(4):1593
2000 – 2009
- Hossain, D. Gorman, D. Eley, R. Coutts, J. (2009). Farm Advisor’s reflections on Mental Health First Aid training. The Australian e-Journal for the Advancement of Mental Health 8(1)
- Hunt W & Coutts J (2009) Extension in tough times – addressing failures in public and private extension, lessons from the Tasmanian Wool Industry, in Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, Vol. 15, No.1, 39_55, March 2009
- Hossain, D., Eley, R., Gorman, D., and Coutts, J. (2008). Mental Health of Landholders in Southern Queensland – issues and support, AJRH,16:343-348
- Botha N, Coutts J & Roth H (2008) The Role of Agricultural Consultants in New Zealand in Environmental Extension, Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, Vol. 14, No. 2, 145_158, June 2008
- Botha N and Coutts J (2006) Extension and Consultancy – current thinking, Primary Industry Management Journal New Zealand
- Coutts J, Ocenar R D, Brillantes Jr A B, Cuthbertson S (2006) Training as an Intervention to Enhance Agricultural Extension Effectiveness in a Devolved Setting: The Case of Leyte, in Brillantes Jr AB, Ocenar RD & Tumanut MA (Eds) Devolved Agricultural Extension Services in the Philippines: Trials and Triumphs – Cases from Frontline Local Governments, Center for Local and Regional Governance (CLRG), University of the Philippines, Quezon City, The Philippines
- Coutts J (2005) Evaluating Success in Achieving Adoption of New Technologies, NSW DPI and Beef CRC Conference “Moving from Research to Adoption” Quality Nautilus Resort, Coffs Harbour NSW 3-5th May 2005
- Coutts J & Roberts K (2003) Extension Models and Best Practice, APEN Extension Conference, Hobart November 2003
- Coutts J (2003) Capacity Building through Extension, in RipRap, the River and Riparian Lands Management newsletter, Land & Water Australia, Canberra
- Coutts J, Douglas J & Campbell A Cooperation, collaboration and common sense – towards a National Extension Framework for Australia, refereed Proceedings of the 3rd Australasian Pacific Extension Conference Toowoomba October 2001
- Coutts J & Paine M (eds) (1999) Special Australasian Pacific edition of The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 1999 vol. 6, no 2
- Coutts J (1999) Extension Practice in Australia – facing 2000 (Key Note address) Proceedings of Central Queensland Extension Conference, Yeppoon May 1999
- King, K, Coutts, J and Jiggins, J (1998) Unearthing paradox as a focus for facilitating rural sustainability Proceedings (Vol 2) 15th AFSRE International Symposium 29 November -4 December Pretoria
- Coutts J (1998) A Farming Systems Approach to increased use of Integrated Pest management in the Australian Cotton industry* in Proceedings of the Third Symposium on Rural and Farming Systems Analyses: Environmental Perspectives. Stuttgart-Hohenheim, Germany, 25-27 March 1998
- Coutts J (1997) Communications into the New Millennium (Key Note Address) in Proceedings of 1998 National Soil Acidification Conference, Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
- Coutts J Changes in Extension – an Australian Perspective: the coming of age of extension (Key Note address) in Proceedings of the 2nd Australasia Pacific Extension Conference on Managing Change: building knowledge and skills, Albury, NSW APEN 18-21 Nov 1997, Vol II pp 22-32
Evaluating a Co-innovation Policy Initiative in New Zealand (2014)
This paper describes a methodology to evaluate the process and impact of applying a “co- innovation” approach in the New Zealand Agricultural Innovation System. It was delivered at the 11th European International Farming Systems Symposium, Berlin April 2014.
Lining up the Ducks – Monitoring Evaluation and Reporting (2014)
This presentation was to the Australasian Evaluation Society in Perth in 2014. It goes through the need and rationale for a consistent monitoring and evaluation framework for organisations – particularly those who fund or deliver RD&E projects.
Synergy Matrix (2006)
The Synergy Matrix is an evaluation tool which teases out the different niches and contribution of a range of projects and overlapping initiatives to achieving mutual outcomes. This downloadable PDF is from a presentation given by Jeff Coutts to the Australasian Evalaution Society in Brisbane on the 8th August 2006.
Evaluating success in achieving adoption of new technologies (2005)
This paper was written for an invited presentation at the NSW DPI and Beef CRC Conference “Moving from Research to Adoption” Quality Nautilus Resort, Coffs Harbour NSW 3-5th May 2005. It includes a modified Bennett’s log frame to help in framing an evaluation and draws on some practical examples of how to collect and collate relevant data.
Cooperative Venture in Human Capacity Building Fact Sheets (2004/5)
These fact sheets emerged from the Cooperative Venture in Human Capacity – a joint Rural Development Corporation initiative – to pool resources to look at this generic area of interest. Some fact sheets came out of projects in which Coutts J&R participated.
Review of the BSES PROSPER and SRDC BSS260 (2004)
Review Panel (25 May 2004): Dr Jeff Coutts (Director, Coutts J&R), Mr Ray McDowall (General Manager, Mulgrave Mill), Mrs Desley Vella (Cane Grower,Babinda), Mr Chris Sounness (DPI Victoria)
Human Capacity building through extension and education in RipRap (2003)
Published in the River and Riparian Lands Management Newsletter (Edition 24 2003 Land & Water Australia Canberra) for the Cooperative Venture for Capacity Building and Innovation in Rural Industries.
Extension Models and Best Practice in Extension (2003)
Authored by Jeff Coutts and Kate Roberts (Roberts Research & Evaluation) for a project commissioned by Capacity Building for Innovation in Rural Industries Co-operative Joint Venture.